We are taught at a young age that safety should always be a priority. Whether it is wearing a seat belt, protecting your head with a helmet or looking both ways before crossing the street; the subject of safety seems to be a part of our everyday lives.
Let’s discuss the overall safety of those who ride motorcycles and this video highlights what you need in order to dress for the slide, not the ride. Everyone knows the importance of helmets, but let’s review the rest of your body and the need to dress appropriately from helmet to boot. Even though we frequently sue Allstate, this article does provide a great outline for what to wear to keep you safe while riding.
Head / Helmet – protect your head in a motorcycle accident:
- Must be DOT certified (every motorcycle helmet sold in the U.S. is required to meet the DOT’s FMVSS 218 standard)
- Get the perfect fit: never use a “used” helmet
- Full-face helmets have better protection than three-quarter or half-shell helmets
- Always replace a helmet after an accident
- Eyewear is essential when debris, insects and airborne dirt is coming towards you
- Protective goggles, riding glasses or a face shield are recommended
Upper Body / Torso – protect your body in a motorcycle accident:
- Pads for shoulders and elbows are important
- Leather jacket or durable denim-like material is essential
Hands – protect your hands in a motorcycle accident:
- Get a grip and make sure that you have proper riding gloves
- Wear gloves that fit properly
- Hands are at risk of being hit by debris and road rash from a crash
- In the event of an accident, hands can be the first line of defense
Lower Body / Legs – protect your legs in a motorcycle accident:
- Leather, durable denim and knee pads should be used
- Protect legs from debris and extreme weather conditions
Feet / Ankles / Toes – protect your feet in a motorcycle accident:
- Riding boots or heavy work boots should be worn
- The tread on boots should be durable in the event of slowing down
No matter where you’re riding, or how long your trip might be, the proper safety gear could save your life in the event of a motorcycle accident.
For a free legal consultation, call 404-214-2001
Kaine Law is a personal injury law firm representing injured accident victims in Georgia. With offices in Atlanta, Conyers, Lawrenceville and Stockbridge, Kaine Law’s personal injury attorneys specialize in representing injured motorcycle accident victims, injured car accident victims, injured dog bite victims and injured pedestrian accident victims. Kaine Law represents their injured accident victim clients using a contingency fee agreement which provides that there are no legal fees unless we win.
Call or text 404-214-2001 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form