The cost of hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer depends on how your case is structured. Some motorcycle accident lawyers charge hourly rates. Others charge retainers, where you constantly replenish a pool of funds as your case progresses.
Our firm does neither of those things. We handle motorcycle accident cases on a contingency-fee basis. Clients pay us nothing from their savings for our legal aid. They don’t pay anything up front either. We take payment from the settlement we secure for you. Otherwise, you don’t pay our attorney’s fees.
What is a Contingency-Fee Agreement?
A contingency-fee agreement is what it sounds like; payment for your lawyer’s help is contingent on the outcome of your case. Not only does this incentivize your lawyer to pursue a just outcome, but it also prevents you from paying any fees out of pocket.
Consider this scenario to understand these types of arrangements:
- You were hurt in a motorcycle accident.
- You meet with a lawyer, and they agree to take your case.
- After reviewing your case’s obligations, they propose to take 20 percent of your settlement.
- Your damages cost $1 million. Your lawyer obtains that amount either through negotiations or a trial.
- Your lawyer draws payment from your compensation and gives you the rest.
For a free legal consultation, call 404-214-2001
How does a Lawyer Calculate Their Contingency-Fee Rate?
Our firm calculates our contingency-fee based on numerous aspects of your case, including:
Your Filing Deadline
How long you have to file a motorcycle accident injury claim depends on the timeline set by the insurance company. WIth lawsuits though, the story is different. O.C.G.A. § 9-3-33 gives injured motorcyclists two years to file their civil cases. This means, if you contact a law firm shortly after your collision, they have a generous time frame to build your case.
However, if you contact a firm and the deadline is looming, they’ll need to work quickly to build your case. This requires late nights at the office, rescheduling other obligations, and last-minute consulting. Your lawyer will take these aspects into account when determining their rates.
Your Role in the Collision
In Georgia, if you get into an accident, your portion of fault reduces your final settlement. For instance, if you caused 20 percent of an accident, and the other party caused 80 percent, the insurer would reduce your award by 20 percent––your portion of fault.
The fewer funds you’re eligible to recover, the fewer funds your lawyer has to draw from. They may consider your role in the accident when calculating their contingency fees.
Your Case’s Obligations
No two cases are the same. Even a seemingly simple rear-end collision can quickly turn into a hotly contested court case. When drawing up your payment plan, your lawyer will evaluate your case’s obligations and complications.
Your case may require:
- Expert consultants. We can use testimony from accident reconstruction specialists, engineers, and healthcare providers to give insight into your case. These professionals do not offer their help for free, however. Payment for their help will come from your award.
- Going to court. It’s not free to file a civil lawsuit. Take a look at how the Southern District of Georgia itemizes civil court fees. These costs can really add up. Yet, your lawyer will pay for them as needed. Then, if your case succeeds, they’ll deduct that amount from your settlement.
What Compensation Can I Get in a Contingency-Fee Agreement?
Your contingency-fee arrangement has no bearing on the types of damages you can recover. For example, your lawyer won’t withhold your lost wages in exchange for their help.
Compensation in your case may cover:
- Healthcare expenses, including inpatient care, bone-setting, skin grafts, medications, and doctor’s visits
- Lost income, both now and in the future
- Loss of future earning capacity, if your injuries affect your earning power
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage expenses, if your motorcycle was damaged or totaled
- Other out-of-pocket expenses
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Our Law Firm Can Render These (and Other) Services
To advance your case, our law firm will:
Offer a Free Case Review
Either in person or over the phone, we can explore your options at no cost. Our firm will listen to your story and outline possible legal strategies.
Explain Their Terms of Payment
You will know about your payment plan from the moment your case starts. We will evaluate your case’s requirements, calculate its value, and propose a plan that benefits both of us.
Negotiate a Settlement
We settle many of our motorcycle accident claims through negotiations. This involves proving negligence, managing communications, and identifying bad faith insurance practices.
File a Lawsuit
Don’t be intimidated by the idea of filing a lawsuit. Our lawyers can manage everything involved with litigation, including:
- Gathering third-party testimony
- Arguing your case
- Cross-examining witnesses
- Objecting to unfair proceedings
- Advocating for your legal rights
- Abiding by civil law protocol
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call Kaine Law to Begin Your Free Case Review
We’re ready to pursue compensation after your motorcycle accident in Georgia. During your free case review, feel free to ask how much it costs to hire a motorcycle accident lawyer from our firm. To begin, dial (404) 214-2001.