According to the Georgia Department of Transportation Crash Data, the five most dangerous intersections in the Atlanta metro area are:
- I-20 and I-285
- I-20 and I-75/I-85
- I-85 and University Ave
- I-20 and Moreland Ave
- I-85 and Peachtree St
Most Intersection Accidents Happen Because of Driver Error
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway’s Intersection Safety Report, more than half of all vehicle accidents happen at intersections, but what makes intersections so dangerous? The critical reason for 96 percent of crashes at intersections is diver error.
Negligent and reckless driving behaviors that can contribute to intersection accidents include:
- Failing to stop at a stoplight or stop sign
- Failing to yield
- Drunk Driving
- Distracted driving
- Failing to slow down/misjudging another vehicle’s speed
- Aggressive driving
- Making an illegal turn or turning with an obstructed view
However, while negligent driving may be the primary cause of most intersection accidents, it is not always the only contributing factor. Other causes of intersection collisions include:
- Poor lighting
- Negligent road maintenance
- Broken traffic signals
- Broken, missing, or obstructed road signs
- Defective intersection design
- Vehicle issues, including defective brakes and tires
For a free legal consultation, call 404-214-2001
You Can Seek Compensation for Your Car Accident Losses
If you suffered injuries during a car accident, an attorney with our law firm can investigate your crash and help you seek compensation for your losses. If your accident was not your fault, you could win awards for your medical treatment, including the cost of:
- Emergency transportation
- Emergency department care
- Hospital bills
- Doctor fees
- Medications and medical devices and equipment
- Physical therapy
- Long-term care services
You can also recover the cost of lost income and other expenses related to your accident, including:
- Lost wages, earnings, and benefits
- Loss of your future earning capacity
- Vehicle repair or replacement costs
- Rental car/alternative transportation fees
- The value of your household services
Finally, if you suffered a severe injury, you may qualify for pain and suffering awards, which may include compensation for physical pain, emotional suffering, mental anguish, permanent and disabling injuries, and reductions to your overall quality of life.
If your loved one suffered a fatal injury at an intersection in Atlanta, you can seek wrongful death damages on their behalf. Surviving family members can pursue compensation for their loved one’s medical bills, funeral and burial costs, lost wages, and conscious pain and suffering. You may also be eligible for awards for the loss of your family member’s love, support, and companionship.
Proving Liability for Your Atlanta Car Accident
To secure a settlement or verdict in your favor, you have to prove your accident and injuries resulted from someone else’s negligence. To establish negligence under Georgia law, you must show:
- The liable party owed you a duty of care. This means that the responsible party had an obligation to keep you safe. All motorists owe one another a duty of care when behind the wheel.
- The liable party breached their duty. As mentioned, several negligent and reckless driving actions can constitute a breach of duty, including speeding and driving while intoxicated.
- You must prove the liable party’s actions resulted in your accident and injuries.
- You must prove your accident resulted in economic and noneconomic losses.
Do Not Wait Too Long to Get Started
Investigating an accident, obtaining evidence, and calculating your damages can take time. Make sure you get started on your case before the statute of limitations expires. According to O.C.G.A. § 9-3-33, you have two years to file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit. If you do not file within this time limit, the court will likely refuse your case.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Do You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?
You can file your insurance claims or pursue a lawsuit on your own, but working with a personal injury attorney from Kaine Law can help protect your rights. Insurance companies want to profit, and keeping claims payouts low helps increase their bottom line. So, even when acting in good faith, it is in their best interest to settle your case for as little as possible.
A personal injury lawyer with our firm can help you by collecting evidence, building a strong case, and communicating with the insurance companies on your behalf. This takes the pressure off your shoulders and allows you to concentrate on healing from your accident injuries. It also shows the insurance company you are serious about seeking a fair settlement and will not accept a hasty, lowball offer.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call Kaine Law for Help With Your Intersection Accident
If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a car accident at one of the five most dangerous intersections in Atlanta, our personal injury attorneys can help. We assist with car accidents involving passenger cars, motorcycles, trucks, and commercial vehicles – wherever they occur in the Atlanta metro area.
To find out more, call our offices at (404) 214-2001 for a free consultation.
Call or text 404-214-2001 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form