You may know you deserve compensation for your car accident injuries, but the legal system is so complex that the average person often has trouble navigating it alone. This is why you should consider hiring a car accident lawyer: to make it easier for you to pursue the damages you need.
Challenges of Filing a Car Accident Case
After suffering injuries in a motor vehicle accident, you might want to seek compensation from the liable party. You have the right to do so, but you could encounter many difficulties along the way, including:
- Debilitating injuries that make it hard to concentrate on anything else
- Insurance companies that want to minimize how much they pay you, regardless of how much you actually need or deserve
- Having to calculate how much compensation to ask for (getting this amount wrong could undermine your credibility and put your chance of receiving fair compensation at risk)
- Strict laws that regulate when you can seek compensation, how much you can ask for, and how you must manage a case
A car accident lawyer in your area can help you overcome these challenges by:
- Explaining your rights as a car accident survivor and plaintiff
- Dealing with the insurers and all other parties
- Quantifying your injuries and ensuring that the amount you ask for is appropriate
- Performing all necessary legal tasks and chores so you do not have to do them yourself
Why File a Case at All?
For some people, the prospect of putting the accident behind them as quickly as possible, even if it means foregoing financial compensation, can be tempting. You should think very carefully before making such a decision. In the long term, giving up your right to file a lawsuit could mean you:
- Have to pay for future medical and other expenses out of pocket
- Allow the at-fault party to get away with their recklessness without facing any consequences
- End up going into debt or going back to work earlier than you should to make ends meet
Fortunately, there is a way to pursue compensation without going through the stress of managing a case by yourself. In hiring a personal injury attorney, you get the best of both worlds: you can fight for the money you need and forget about your case for long stretches at a time.
If and when you need to know something about your case (e.g., when the insurer offers a settlement), your attorney would tell you everything you need to know about that development. In the meantime, you would be free to focus on other matters, like receiving treatment.
For a free legal consultation, call 404-214-2001
Benefits of Hiring a Car Accident Lawyer
Car accident lawyers are much more familiar with the law than the average person. It is their job to assume most of the burden of a case and help plaintiffs like you recover compensation.
With a legal representative on your side, you could look forward to the following benefits:
- Having a legal professional on hand to answer all of your questions and advise you on how to manage your case
- Being able to spend time with family or receiving medical care while your lawyer keeps your case going
- Not having to worry about doing paperwork or taking calls from anyone’s insurance company—your attorney would take care of all that
- Receiving frequent updates from your law firm about how your case is going and when and if you need to make a legal decision
- Knowing that if the insurance company attempts to infringe on your rights in any way, your lawyer would stop them
Your attorney and their team would fight your entire case on your behalf. That includes:
- Collecting enough evidence to build a strong case file
- Identifying the liable party
- Negotiating with the liable party’s insurer
- Speaking for you in court, if necessary
- Drawing up the settlement agreement
With a law firm on the case, the only legal task you would have to complete would be making big-picture decisions, like whether to accept a settlement offer. Even then, you would not have to make that decision alone: your attorney would give you all the information and advice you need to steer your case in the right direction.
When Should You Hire a Car Accident Attorney?
Legally, you typically have two years to start your case against whoever caused your car accident, according to O.C.G.A. § 9-3-33. This is a general rule: the deadline may be shorter or longer, depending on your situation.
In other words, you should hire a car accident lawyer well before this time limit runs out. You want to make sure you leave your lawyer plenty of time to:
- Consider your situation and come up with a solid strategy for pursuing compensation
- Look for time-sensitive evidence, such as surveillance camera footage that might quickly be recorded over
- Interview witnesses before they start to forget critical details about what they saw
- Hire experts who can examine evidence and offer supportive opinions regarding what injuries you sustained and how much they are worth
It is usually best to hire a car accident lawyer right after you have seen a doctor and undergone any necessary emergency care for your injuries. This way, you protect your health, and you will have a better idea of what kinds of injuries you should sue for.
That said, if some time has passed since the accident or you have already started your case, it is not too late to hire a lawyer.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Our Car Accident Lawyers Want to Hear From You
Kaine Law is proud to represent car accident survivors and their families throughout Georgia. If you want more information on why you should hire a car accident lawyer from our firm, call us for a free case review today. You will not pay a cent in attorney’s fees unless we win your case.