When motorcycles collide with other vehicles or stationary objects, the results are often tragic. Motorcycle accidents frequently lead to serious injuries such as broken bones and brain injuries.
If you were injured or your loved one died in a motorcycle accident caused by another person’s negligence, you may be able to recover financial compensation known as damages for medical expenses, lost wages, and more. A Riverdale motorcycle accident lawyer with Kaine Law may be able to help you recover damages for these expenses and more.
Negligence and Liability in a Motorcycle Accident
Not every accident results from negligence, but some do. Negligence occurs when drivers behave carelessly or recklessly at the wheel. Here are the criteria that must be met for a driver to be considered negligent and liable for a motorcycle accident:
- Duty of care: Every driver, whether driving a motorcycle, car, or truck, owes a duty of care to other drivers and pedestrians. This duty of care requires people to drive in a way that keeps others safe and out of harm’s way.
- Breach of duty: Drivers who put others at risk of harm breach the duty of care.
- Causation: The breach of duty must have directly caused the motorcycle accident.
- Damages: Anyone who causes an accident can be held liable and financially responsible for the accident.
Negligent Driving Causes Motorcycle Accidents
Many types of careless driving can lead to motorcycle accidents. Here are some of the most common instances of motorcycle accidents caused by negligence:
- Failure to look for a motorcycle before turning
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Distracted driving, including texting while driving
- Weaving in and out of traffic
- Ignoring traffic signs and signals
These are just a few examples of how negligence can cause an accident. Your lawyer will thoroughly investigate your accident to look for evidence of negligence by the other driver.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accident lawyer serving Riverdale, call 404-214-2001
Recoverable Damages After a Motorcycle Accident
Your lawyer will help you determine the value of your damages after the motorcycle accident. He will support this estimate with evidence such as pictures of your injuries, your medical bills and records, and past wages statements. You may be able to recover both economic and non-economic damages.
The severe injuries that frequently result from a motorcycle accident can quickly result in staggering medical bills. If you are out of work while you recover, those bills can seem overwhelming. Economic damages compensate victims for expenses related to the accident, such as:
- Medical bills such as emergency care, ambulance bills, diagnostic imaging, surgeries, prescription medication, rehabilitative therapies, and more
- Medical equipment such as wheelchairs, walkers, motorized scooters, neck braces, and more
- Future medical treatment if you need additional surgeries, therapy, or ongoing care
- Lost wages and future lost wages for unpaid time out of work while you recover or if you cannot return to work
- Home modifications such as ramps, wide hallways and doors, accessible bathrooms and showers, and more
- Funeral and burial expenses if you lost a loved one
Medical bills and lost wages represent only a fraction of the impact a motorcycle accident can have on your life. Many motorcycle accident victims face a life that is permanently altered either mentally, physically, or both. Non-economic damages compensate victims for these intangible losses. You may be entitled to non-economic damages if:
- You have permanent brain damage
- You have a permanent disability, such as a spinal cord injury or amputated limb
- Your injuries require a long recovery
- You develop a psychological condition such as PTSD, anxiety, depression, or insomnia
- Your injuries prevent you from participating in hobbies or activities you once enjoyed
- Your injuries have otherwise reduced your quality of life
Riverdale Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 404-214-2001
How a Lawyer from Our Team Can Help Your Case
Our team will work with you to obtain fair compensation for your injuries. Here are some ways we can help:
- Investigate the accident: Your lawyer will investigate who caused the accident. He will interview eyewitnesses, collect police reports, gather cell phone records and toxicology reports, and more.
- Negotiate a settlement: Your lawyer will use his evidence-based estimate of your damages to negotiate a settlement with the insurance company.
- Take your case to trial: If negotiations fail, your lawyer will file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver and fight for you in court.
Click to contact our Motorcycle Accidents lawyers today
Our Case Results
At Kaine Law, our team of lawyers has multiple decades of experience representing victims of personal injury. Our team is committed to fighting for justice for people who were harmed because of another person’s negligence. Here are some examples of cases we have successfully resolved:
- $650,000 for a motorcycle accident case
- $450,000 for a motorcycle accident case
- $5.75 million for an accident caused by a roadway defect
- $500,000 for an ATV accident
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Legal Deadlines in a Motorcycle Accident Case
Your lawyer will help you meet important legal deadlines, including the deadline for filing a lawsuit before the statute of limitations ends. O.C.G.A. § 9-3-33 sets the statute of limitations for personal injury or wrongful death at two years.
This law means that you generally have two years from the date of the accident or two years from the date your loved one died to take legal action against the at-fault party after a motorcycle accident.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Injuries from motorcycle accidents can be permanently life-altering. Here is some information on common motorcycle accident injuries:
- The Georgia Department of Public Health states that 14% of motorcycle riders who were hospitalized after an accident had a traumatic brain injury (TBI). Of motorcycle riders who died in the hospital, 77% had a TBI.
- According to Emory Healthcare, motorcycle accidents are a common cause of lower leg fractures known as tibial shaft fractures, including fractures in which the bone breaks into several pieces.
- Motorcycle accidents can lead to peripheral nerve disorders, especially to the brachial plexus, a nerve in the shoulder.
Kaine Law Can Help You After a Riverdale Motorcycle Accident
If you were injured or lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, funeral expenses, and more. Your Riverdale motorcycle accident lawyer with Kaine Law will work with you to obtain damages from the at-fault party and his insurance provider.
Call (404) 214-2001 for a free case consultation. Our lawyers work on contingency, which means we accept no payment unless we win your case.