Bicycling, while healthy and eco-friendly, can be dangerous, especially when cyclists share the road with motor vehicles. Bicycle accidents can lead to broken bones, brain injuries, and even death. According to the Georgia Governor’s Office of Highway Safety, 21 bicyclists and other cyclists were killed in bicycle accidents in 2019.
Bicyclist accidents can lead to enormous expenses. If you were injured or lost a family member in a bicycle accident caused by another party, you may be entitled to financial compensation known as damages for medical bills, pain and suffering, and more. A Riverdale bicycle accident lawyer with Kaine Law may be able to help you recover damages for these expenses and more.
Who is at Fault for a Bicycle Accident?
Determining who is at fault for a bicycle accident is critical because the at-fault party can be held financially responsible for accident-related expenses. Your lawyer will thoroughly investigate your accident to look for evidence that negligence by another party caused your accident.
Specifically, he will look for the following four elements:
- Duty of Care: In all situations, people and government agencies have an obligation to act in a way that does not put others at risk of harm. Drivers must drive safely and respect traffic laws. Government agencies must develop and maintain safe roadways and bike paths.
- Breach of Duty: Anyone who puts others at risk breaches the duty of care.
- Causation: It is not enough to breach the duty of care; to be considered negligent, the breach must also cause an accident. Your lawyer will link the breach of duty to your accident.
- Damages: Any party that causes an accident through negligence owes the injured party damages.
Negligence Causes Bicycle Accidents
Negligent drivers of motor vehicles and government agencies in charge of road and bike paths often contribute to bicycle accidents. Here are some common examples of negligence that cause bicycle accidents:
- Poorly designed intersections
- Poorly maintained roads and paths
- Failure to look for bicyclists in traffic
- Failure to use a turn signal
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Disregarding traffic signs and signals
When your lawyer investigates your accident, he will look for evidence of these types of negligence and more.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accident lawyer serving Riverdale, call 404-214-2001
How Much is a Bicycle Accident Case Worth?
The value of damages from a bicycle accident case varies. Generally speaking, accidents that cause more serious injuries are worth more than accidents that cause minor injuries. Learn how much an average bicycle accident settlement is. Here are some damages you may be able to recover:
Economic damages compensate you for expenses related to the accident, such as:
- Medical bills including emergency treatment, doctor’s appointments, surgeries, therapy, and more
- Medical equipment such as wheelchairs, motorized scooters, braces, canes, and walkers
- Future medical care for any treatments your doctors anticipate you will require
- Past and future lost wages for unpaid time off work during your recovery and if you cannot return to work
Non-economic damages compensate you for the pain and suffering caused by the accident. You may be entitled to damages if:
- You are permanently disabled or disfigured
- You suffer from chronic pain
- You develop a mental health issue
- You lose the ability to participate in former hobbies or activities
- Your quality of life is reduced
Wrongful Death Expenses
If you lost a loved one in a bicycle accident, you may be able to recover damages for:
- Pain and suffering your loved one experienced before dying
- Medical bills incurred by your loved one before he died
- Lost wages for the income your loved one would have earned
- Funeral and burial expenses such as embalming, cremation, casket fees, transportation, and more
Your lawyer will use evidence such as pictures of your injuries, medical bills and records, past wage statements, expert testimony, and interviews with you to estimate how much your case is worth.
Riverdale Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 404-214-2001
How a Personal Injury Lawyer from Our Firm Can Help You
You can pursue damages on your own, but many people find it less stressful to work with a legal professional. Our Riverdale bicycle accident lawyer can help you by:
- Investigating the accident
- Estimating the value of your damages
- Submitting an insurance claim for you
- Negotiating a fair settlement with the insurance provider
- Filing a lawsuit and representing you in court
Click to contact our Bicycle Accidents lawyers today
Case Results for Kaine Law
The lawyers at Kaine Law are committed to fighting for justice for people who have been injured or killed by other people’s negligence. Here are some examples of our case results:
- $5.75 million for an accident caused by a roadway defect
- $650,000 for a motorcycle accident
- $500,000 for an ATV accident
Each case we handle is unique and we can never guarantee an outcome. What we can guarantee is that we will work tirelessly to obtain fair compensation for you.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Time Limits in a Georgia Bicycle Accident Case
Georgia limits the amount of time you have to take legal action after a bicycle accident. Here are some important time limits:
- O.C.G.A § 9-3-33 sets the statute of limitations for personal injury and wrongful death at two years
- O.C.G.A. § 36-33-5 sets the statute of limitations for filing a claim against a city at 6 months
- O.C.G.A. § 36-11-1 sets the statute of limitations for filing a claim against a county at one year
- O.C.G.A. § 50-21-26 sets the statute of limitations for filing a claim against the state at one year
If you wait too long, you lose the right to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party, even if your case is valid. Your lawyer will evaluate your case and determine how these deadlines apply to your situation.
Turn to Kaine Law After a Riverdale Bicycle Accident
If you were hurt or lost a family member in a bicycle accident caused by another party, you may be entitled to financial compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. Your Riverdale bicycle accident lawyer with Kaine Law can represent you against the negligent party.
Call our office today at (404) 214-4001 for a free case consultation. We work on contingency, so you pay us nothing unless we win your case.