After a car accident, it is typical to pull over and exchange information with the other parties involved. However, what happens if the person who hit your car doesn’t stop? When a driver who caused the accident leaves the scene, you might not know what to do. You could feel worried that you will have to pay for the damages to your vehicle, even though you didn’t cause the accident.
After this type of accident, you might not know where to turn. An Atlanta hit and run accident lawyer from Kaine Law can guide you through the next steps. We can help you determine the best course of action moving forward. Getting injured in a hit and run accident is traumatic. You shouldn’t have to go through the process of seeking the compensation you need on your own.
Kaine Law Can Help You After a Hit and Run Accident in Atlanta
Hit and run accidents are unfortunately common in Atlanta. The personal injury attorneys at Kaine Law have handled many hit and run accident cases and know about the options victims have. We can also aggressively advocate for you during negotiations to get fair compensation for your injuries.
Our Atlanta attorneys can help you in many ways after a hit and run accident. We can:
- Attempt to identify the hit and run driver: The police might investigate the accident to identify the driver who caused the accident. Unfortunately, the police have limited resources and might not find the at-fault party. Our attorneys can work to identify the driver by reviewing police reports, interviewing witnesses, and watching video footage of the accident.
- Explain your options with insurance coverage: Sometimes, the driver who caused the accident gets away without punishment. In this case, your insurance coverage may cover the accident. If you have uninsured/underinsured coverage, your insurance company could cover your accident-related expenses without penalty.
- Negotiate with opposing attorneys: Our team can handle negotiations and all other communications with opposing attorneys. We understand insurance companies’ negotiation tactics to get people to accept low offers and can combat that with our strong negotiating power.
- Ensure you meet timelines: If we can locate the liable party, O.C.G.A § 9-3-33 states you have two years from the accident date to file a lawsuit against them. We can ensure you meet those timelines, so you don’t miss your chance to recover compensation.
If you have to go through your insurance company, having an Atlanta hit and run accident attorney by your side can be beneficial. Before speaking with them, consult with an attorney to determine the best way to handle your claim.
For a free legal consultation with a hit and run accident lawyer serving Atlanta, call 404-214-2001
You Could Receive Monetary Compensation for Your Injuries After a Hit and Run Accident in Atlanta
After getting injured in a hit and run accident, you could recover compensation for your losses. An Atlanta hit and run accident lawyer from our firm can help you calculate the estimated value of your case.
After a hit and run, you could recover economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages are monetary losses someone incurs because of their injuries. Examples of economic damages include:
- Medical expenses: You could recover any medical-related expense through an insurance claim or lawsuit. Medical expenses could include but are not limited to emergency room care, ambulance rides, surgeries, diagnostic testing, hospitalizations, medications, and doctor’s visits.
- Future medical expenses: Depending on the severity of your injuries, you could require additional medical care after your claim has settled. If a medical professional states you will need future medical care, you could include the potential costs of future medical expenses in your claim or lawsuit.
- Lost income: After sustaining an injury, you could miss work while recovering. If this happens, you could include the income you lost in your claim. You could also include future lost income if you cannot return to work for some time after the claim has settled.
Non-economic damages are non-monetary losses someone incurs because of their injuries. The goal of these damages is to compensate the injured person for the physical and emotional turmoil they went through. Examples of non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering: This includes any physical pain you experienced because of your injuries, as well as discomfort or inconvenience.
- Emotional distress: In some cases, people who go through traumatic events and sustain injuries experience emotional distress. If you suffer from anxiety, depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) because of the car accident, you may recover emotional distress damages.
Our Atlanta hit and run injury attorneys can calculate your non-economic damages using a formula. This tool can help us determine the value of your case. We can also use this number when negotiating with the opposing attorneys.
Atlanta Hit and Run Accident Lawyer Near Me 404-214-2001
What Is a Hit and Run Accident?
According to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, a hit and run accident occurs when someone gets into a car accident with a pedestrian, bicyclist, another car, or a fixed object and leaves the scene before providing information or assisting injured parties.
Even if someone isn’t at-fault for causing the accident, it is a “hit and run” if they leave the scene. There are criminal penalties for leaving the scene of an accident.
Why Do People Leave Accident Scenes?
People leave accident scenes for various reasons. But, often, it is because they want to avoid trouble. Common reasons people leave accident scenes include:
- Driving without a license: If someone doesn’t have a valid driver’s license, they could leave the accident scene to avoid further punishment. They can face criminal charges if they get caught driving without a license.
- Driving while under the influence: If someone gets in a car accident because they are driving while drunk or high on drugs, they could leave the scene to avoid being charged with a DUI. DUI charges can cause someone to pay large fines or face jail time. To try to avoid those punishments, they could leave the scene of the accident.
- They don’t have car insurance: If someone causes an accident and doesn’t have car insurance, they could flee the scene in an attempt to avoid a harsher penalty.
If someone left the scene of an accident you were involved in, we can help. Our Atlanta hit and run attorneys can attempt to track down the person who committed the hit and run. If we cannot locate them, we can guide you through filing a claim with your insurance company.
Click to contact our Hit and Run Accidents lawyers today
Start Working With a Hit and Run Accident Lawyer in Atlanta Today
After getting into a hit and run accident in Atlanta, an attorney can help you navigate the claims process. Our team can stand by your side to ensure you take all the proper steps to recover fair compensation for your losses. You can rest assured you are in good hands at Kaine Law.
Contact us for a free consultation. A legal team member can provide information on how we can help with your case. We also work on a contingency-fee basis, so you only have to pay for our legal services if we help you reach a successful outcome.