Accidents Caused by Drunk Drivers
About 1 in 3 traffic deaths in the United States involve a drunk driver. Drivers with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08% or higher are considered “alcohol-impaired” or drunk drivers by law. The legal limit is even less for commercial drivers. Due to the risk and potential for injury when driving a commercial vehicle, Georgia law cuts this limit in half for CDL drivers. A commercial truck driver is considered to be intoxicated or driving drunk if they have a BAC of 0.4% or greater.
Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is extremely dangerous, and it places everyone on the road at risk. If you or a loved one has been injured due to a car wreck caused by a drunk driver, it’s important to take action right away. The Atlanta attorneys at Kaine Law are passionate about fighting for the rights of injured people across our region, and we help you pursue the compensation you need and deserve as you focus on your physical recovery. We do everything possible to hold drunk drivers accountable for their actions and negligence.
For a free legal consultation with a drunk driving accident lawyer serving Atlanta, call 404-214-2001
Fatal car accidents caused by drunk drivers
In some years, the Department of Transportation (DOT) and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that nearly one-third of all traffic-related deaths in the United States involved drivers driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Though some statistics say that the rate of fatal or serious injuries cases caused by drunk drivers are on the decline, drunk drivers still get behind the wheel millions of times each year causing serious injury and even death to innocent citizens all over the country. According to the CDC, nearly 20% of traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years involved a DUI driver.
Studies have shown that although over 1 million drivers are arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs each year, that number accounted for just 1% of the more than 100 million self-reported episodes of drunk driving among U.S. adults each year.
DUI, or driving under the influence, is often only associated with drunk driving, but its not just limited to alcohol. Driving under the influence of drugs, both legal prescription medication and illegal drugs, accounts for more than 15% of DUI car accidents each year.
Motorcyclists are also at increased risk of fatal crashes. Among those motorcycle riders killed in motorcycle accidents, approximately one-third (33%) had blood alcohol concentrations (BAC) of 0.08% or greater.
A concerning CDC statistic shows that drivers with a BAC of 0.08% or higher, who were involved in fatal crashes were 7 times more likely to have a prior conviction for DUI than were drivers who were involved in fatal accidents with no alcohol in their system. That means that drunk drivers are repeatedly getting behind the wheel and driving drunk without regard for public safety.
Atlanta Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Near Me 404-214-2001
If you’ve been injured in an auto accident, it is important to take the following steps:
- Seek medical attention. If you or a loved one is seriously injured, your first priority should be to seek medical treatment as soon as possible. You may be able to wait if your injuries are not severe, but you should still visit a hospital relatively quickly to obtain treatment and to document your injuries.
- Collect the other driver’s information. Be sure to get thorough contact and insurance information from any other drivers involved in the accident, even if they were not at fault. During this process, never admit any degree of blame for the car wreck.
- Speak with witnesses. If any bystanders witnessed the accident, speak with them and get their contact information. Your lawyer may wish to speak with these witnesses if you later need to seek compensation for your injuries or property damage.
- Notify your insurer. Notify your insurance company of the accident, even if you were not at fault. Your insurance company will attempt to obtain compensation from the responsible driver’s insurer.
- Contact an attorney. Speak with a car wreck lawyer immediately after your accident, especially if you sustained significant injuries or property damage. A skilled attorney can help you seek money damages to cover medical bills, lost wages and other expenses.
Click to contact our Drunk Driving Accidents lawyers today
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident involving a drunk driver, you may also be entitled to punitive damages. Punitive damages are generally awarded in the form of inflated sums of money designed to punish a drunk driver and discourage them from ever driving drunk again. While drunk drivers will likely face severe criminal charges, and have to pay large fines, we will pursue a civil case against them to recover the money that you deserve.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
No fee unless you win! Speak to an Atlanta Drunk Driving Accident lawyer today
At Kaine Law, we work on a contingency fee basis, meaning you pay nothing for our legal services unless we obtain compensation on your behalf. If you or a loved one is injured in a car accident because of a drunk driver, contact us online or call 404-214-2001 for a free case evaluation. Now serving residents and businesses in the Greater Atlanta, Lawrenceville, Conyers, & Stockbridge area. Hablamos español.